Friday, September 3, 2004

Blame Game

Getting over the blame game


I don't know too many people that haven't been scarred by something in their past, especially their childhood.  We are products of our parents child rearing, their successes and their failures.  It's not all their fault if its something that has been passed from one generation to the next.  Somewhere, somehow, someone has to break the cycle.


In my family it was alcohol abuse and rage.  Both sets of my Grandparents were raging alcoholics, if it goes back farther than that I can't be sure, either every one has passed on or no one will admit the truth, but in my family it seems to be a learned "behavior"


After going through therapy and seeing how things came down the "line" and knowing long before therapy that if I wanted the cycle to be broken it would have to start with me.  My Mother broke her own cycle by choosing not to drink, but she ended up marrying a man that couldn't help himself. So in the end, the cycle continued.


My father was the oldest of 7 children, he seemed to take the brunt of my grandfathers alcoholic rage, therefore when he became one himself he took it out on his first born, my brother, who in turn took it out on my older sister and myself. He was my abuser, my tormentor the one who tried to break me.  Its hard to hold anything from my past against my brother now that we are both adults for he is not my abuser anymore (scared too I'm sure) and I am not the scared little girl unable to speak up for myself in fear of being beaten. (again) Telling on him was not an option, the threat was a beating worse than before.


I broke the cycle for myself, I broke it by speaking about it. I broke it by not marrying anyone like my father, I broke it by getting help.  I was harder on my first born like my family before me, but I saw what I was doing early enough to stop it. I had to learn to let go of the "rage." I had to stop being the victim and realize it was over and I survived, and I had to realize somewhere someone had it way harder than me and I was humbled by that.


In my teen years I more than dabbled with drugs, alcohol( self medication?) and taking many chances with my life (literally) I was pushing the envelope to see how far I could push it and survive, at what point would I feel alive and say, "whoa!" I walked away from everything when I found out I was having a child of my own.


I quit the drugs, the booze, the risks and even the cigarettes that I had taken up at the wise old age of 12.  I was going to be a Mom and I was 22.  For that child I was going to break all the cycles. I am stunned by the fact that most people can't give up that kind of lifestyle for the sake of their children.  If I expect my children to abstain from that kind of behavior than I must too! So when each of my children finished their drug awareness programs in grade school and came home and asked me if I too could pass a drug test or a sobriety test, with a clear conscious I could say YES!


I wonder, could you?


 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I could and I'm very proud to say that coming from abusive alcoholic parents and having four siblings that have let alcohol and drugs take over their lives leaving them with nothing but bitter blame.

Lahoma

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I TOO COME FROM AN ALCOHOLIC FATHER, WHO CAME FROM ONE HIMSELF. BUT, I FOUND OUT FIRST HAND JUST HOW QUICKLY ALCOHOL WOULD RIP MY LIFE APART. EVEN THOUGH I HAD AN ALCOHOLIC FATHER, A FUNCTIONAL ONE, HE WASNT EVER ABUSIVE TOWARD ME, BUT HE SURE WAS WITH MY THREE BROTHERS, AND I KNEW I WOULD NOT WANT TO TURN OUT THAT WAY. I THANK GOD ALL THE TIME FOR MY STEPMOTHER WHO CARED ENOUGH ABOUT ME TO PUT ME INTO ALA-TEENS, AND SHE HERSELF WENT TO ALANON. THIS WAS HER WAY OF GETTING ME EDUCATED ON THE DISEASE AND LETTING ME SEE THAT THERE WAS AN ALTERNATIVE TO THIS ILLNESS. SOBRIETY. OF COURSE LIKE MOST OTHER YOUNG PEOPLE I EXPERIMENTED WITH THAT AND DRUGS, BUT DECIDED TO BREAK THE CYCLE AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT IT SCARED THE HELLLL OUTTA ME TO THINK HOW FAST I COULD BECOME AN ALCOHOLIC MYSELF.
THANK YOU FOR THIS ENTRY. I ADMIRE YOUR HONESTY ABOUT YOUR LIFE, AND I ALSO APPRECIATE YOUR OPENING UP TO ALL OF US HERE. YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME TO FOLLOW SUIT AND IT MAY NOT BE TODAY OR TOMORROW, BUT I WILL DO IT NOW THAT I REALIZE THIS COULD POSSIBLY BE GOOD FOR THE SOUL. :)
KIM.
KIM.

Anonymous said...

I too grew up in that kind of childhood, only my Father was the abuser..and YES i feel the same as you, I was the one to break the cycle in MY family, I never took to drinking, can't stand it, and never will. It just ain't fun for me...However i did marry into the same childhood mess that I lived through so many years ago, which eventually ended in Divorce. I now am struggling once again with a recovering alsoholic. So really I do not consider myself a survivor yet...but I will be, I guarantee that! Good entry!