Thursday, April 7, 2005

While traipsing around old farms that are no longer in use, I have found a new subject matter that causes a little longing whenever I find them, I am drawn to old farm houses and falling down barns but what I have seemed to over look before is the simple remnants left behind from the families that used to live there.


I have started looking in the old trees on the vacant properties now and finding some wonderful hand made bird houses that were also left behind when the land owners sold out to the developers in our area. It just means that another farm with another barn will be destroyed for progress and most of the land is cleared taking all the smaller trees with them. Thanks to a few developers they are at least leaving some of the older more mature trees for the new subdivisions.


I am drawn to unusual tree formations, old weathered barns and abandoned farm houses and with every new subdivision I loose another great shot. Here are just a few of the bird houses left behind.


rusticbirdhouse.jpg


 


birdbarnhouse.jpg


Notice the hand made silo attached to this old bird house that was made out of chicken wire


 


birdfeeder.jpg


This shot is of an old brick farm house that the hanging vines have somehow made there way in between the homes windows and storm windows, even the leaves from last fall are still visable stuck in between the two glass windows. I thought this would make a great shot because of all the subtle subjects in one shot, the bird feeder, the branches with their shadows cast on the glass, the old temperature gauge, the lovely colors found in the bricks.....this shot turned out better than I thought it would! Ü

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no idea you were such a talented photographer!!! Can you sing, too?!

:) Carol

Anonymous said...

I CAN IMAGINE THE OWNER IN THEIR FAVORITE CHAIR, PAUSING TO WATCH THE BIRD LIVING THERE!
COURTENAY

Anonymous said...

I too am fascinated with old farm houses and barns, although I am not a photographer.  What a shame the people are selling out to developers.  Love the bird houses!  

Anonymous said...

It's sad to loose these great structures, the only benefit I can see is that the old wood is normally reused in new building thereby saving a living tree from being cut down needlessly.  I love the photography that you are doing, that would make a great coffee table book....filled with all the weathered lovingly built birdhouses...Sandi...http://journals.aol.com/sdoscher458/IJustHadToLaugh

Anonymous said...

very pretty photos...great quality and detail to them...~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

that is so cool!
You saw beauty a lot of people would have overlooked.
Marti
http://journals.aol.com/sunnyside46/MidlifeMusings