Friday, April 22, 2005

sHouse Rules

Growing up we had house rules, every house had house rules. Some I chose to implement in my home as an adult and parent and some I chose to abolish all together. Some good habits we were taught to us as children and some bad habits we were shown to us by adults, by their own behavior. There were plenty of un healthy cycles running through both sets of my parents, passed down I am sure by their own childhood's. Some weren't even known to be bad habits or behaviors until society came out of the closet on a few issues.


Life.....we learn as we go huh?


Rules I kept


Saying, "I love you" to those you love... daily.......it's a win/win rule!


Don't drink that last soda/pop or deal with the wrath of Momma! LOL I don't drink a lot of soda but when I do want one there better be one left for me! lol


No playing with hair what so ever in the kitchen, this means no hair brushes, no refluffing of hair or tightening of pony tails.....nothing! Hair in food is just icky! LOL


Do NOT chew with your mouth open......I don't want to see what your chewing and for Gods sake I don't want to hear it either.........and never talk with your mouth full........Nuff said! lol


No Phone calls during dinner, what ever it is can wait until dinner is over........it's hard enough timing the food and the family to sit down at the same time and I'll be damned if a phone call is going to hold things up........eat and then return the phone call.


Now for the rules I didn't implement and the reasons why..............


No talking during dinner unless you were an adult.........Some times it's the only time of the day were we can all sit down and talk about our day and lives.....talking during dinner is encouraged at my home as long as it's not with your mouth full! lol


Eat everything on your plate.......That is just ridiculous, I do believe this is how many childhood eating disorders began. My only rule is to try and not waste food, take what you know you will eat and if your still hungry by all means go back for more! Try every new food once, if you don't like it you don't ever have to eat it again, but just try it once.


The adult is always right!..........so not true! If I am wrong I will apologize for my mistake just like I would expect my children to do.....if they don't ever witness this they never be able to take blame without feeling bad about themselves and never learn to accept and forgive others.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

There were the table rules... no singing, horseplaying, chewing with your mouth open, talking with your mouth full.  The general house rules like no running, no shouting, no chewing gum, no jumping, no roller skates on, and then there were the 'golden rules', like no talking back especially to adults, no fighting and no tattling.
My rules now days are pretty much the same except that I encourage the kids to tattle if someone is doing something that could hurt someone or damage something.

Anonymous said...

I like this entry and I agree.  Most of mine are similar, but my soda one is a little different.  Don't leave just a teaspoon of liquid in the drink container for the next person.  If there is only that much left, finish it and take care of it yourself!
Another thought, do you ever visit home and get irritated with your parents because they want to enforce the rules that you've abolished?  Like the clean your plate one.

Tina
http://journals.aol.com/imperfectlyavg/ImperfectlyAverage/

Anonymous said...

i abolished the same 3 rules!
we also have
1.if you are hoding a cat, someone else has to get up & get stuff for you
2.we always kiss each other bye
3.last one in bed locks up & puts the appropriate animals in & out
4. never cahnge the tv or radio or cd without a cocensus
Marti

Anonymous said...

OMG!! I so agree with the rules you chose to keep as well as the rules you abolished!  Sounds like us!!  We sometimes have high and low during dinner when we each take turns saying what the highest and lowest points of the day were.  Thank you also for the comments you left for me in my journal!!  Stay in touch!  I shall read on.....  Michelle

Anonymous said...

wow have you been at my house?lol
yours are the same as mine ,but with one exeption .My childrens adobted dad that lives 1700 miles away tends to call at supper. scence they seee him only 1 evry 2 tears we let that slide other than that you got it to a t !

Anonymous said...

ha! love these rules!
None of the adults are ever right in my house...
and as I'm getting older, I'm beginning to be wrong about a lot of things
: )
Oh,  I would never answer the phone nor play with my hair  in the kitchen!
I fear the wrath of a higher power...my grandmother
Good rules!!
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Will you adopt me?

Anonymous said...

Great rules to live by!!  So important to always say I love you to family.  My 17 yr old son still says it to me daily.  
Michele  http://journals.aol.com/samnsmile5/lettingitallsinkin