Thursday, April 14, 2005

Journal Jar

question 35 ~ baby-sitters


Did your parents ever have a baby-sitter for you?  Were you ever left in someone else's care.



http://journals.aol.com/promiseluv372/TheJournalJar/



Now this questions brings back warm fuzzy feelings and images of getting cracked in the head with a thick plastic hair brush, which was replaced many times for being broken over my head! LOL


With both my parents working when we finally settled down in the Chicago area, my Mom became fast friends with the woman who lived next door.... Lilly Mae also know as Lil....She is what I have considered my 'Other Mother' since I was 4 years old. This Woman should be up for sainthood. She had 5 boys and a girl of her own, but she baby sat for my Sister, my Brother and I plus another neighborhood girl from down the street! 10 kids....day in.....day out.......without the benefit of prozac mind you too! LOL........ Oh how I love this woman!


She was born and breed in the south, makes the best pot of chicken and dumplings anywhere and no one can ever come close to this woman's banana pudding.....I grew up listening to blue grass music, the Price is Right and dark shadows  (old...very old .. soap opera) It was with her youngest son Bobby that I got into the most trouble with (this is the reason for her sainthood) She is one hell-of-a-woman! And I was loved by her and her big, beautiful family!


These days to discipline someone else's child is almost unheard of, but back then we got what we deserved! LOL If I wasn't cooperating when it came time to get me ready for school in the morning by having my hair brushed out, I got cracked in the head with it, it wasn't uncommon for a hair brush to hit me dead on from 30 feet away, that woman not only had a great arm she had 100% accuracy! LOL We were also kept in line with a few whacks of the old orange matchbox race track strips, talk about welts! LOL But here me now..........I deserved everything I got! This would be the only other woman in the world I would ever trust my own kids with........all lessons learned where taught with love.


Lil and my Mom are still best friends and get together as much as they can now, she always asks about us and our families and when we can all get together in one place it's a total love fest! The old stories are great even though I am reminded I was an incorrigible child! She will always hold a special place in my heart for even at my worst she still managed to love me bunches! Ü
 



 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the questions that bring back the warm fuzzies... I'm so happy you're part of the jar.  
you're right about discipline... I was OVER disciplined (physcally) so I wouldn't wish that on any child, but everynow and then I want to smack my son! However, it passes quickly.
are you still in contact with your "other mother"?
Luv,
Promise

Anonymous said...

Oh, Oh, Oh! I Loved Dark Shadows! We would rush home from school to see it every afternoon <g>
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

oh man i remember the race track welts well...lmao...and the hairbrush at 30 ffeet....AND the belt and the switch..lmao...and I deserved EVERY LICK IT GOT....

kelly

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I can see the brush flying dead at you from 30 feet. You paint quite the picture! They certainly don't make good babysitters like they used to.