Monday, November 1, 2004

Utopia or Bust!

Oh How I hate the approach of winter! I find I only like snow in pictures, leave it to me the girl who suffers from wanderlust to fall in love with a man from Chicago. My husband was born and raised here and has no fantasies of leaving either unless its to go up north, far northern regions of Wisconsin. I shiver in my blue fuzzy slippers just thinking about it!

I am still looking for Mother Natures Utopia......Not to hot, not to cold, someplace where the earth doesn't shake and the hurricane wind doesn't blow and I can't feel the reach of old man winter. If I could live in springtime weather all year round I would be very content. I live for warm breezy days and nights!

Chicago has such extreme weather conditions all year long. In the summer you are suffering from heat index and high humidity and in the winter you deal with bone chilling wind chill factors, I think the motto of this city should be changed to, "Don't like the weather? stick around it will change!"

My husband and I dated over four years before we married and not once did we discuss what or where he would like to be when he retires, I find that so strange since we talk about everything. So once in a conversation shortly after we were married, he brought up the subject of moving to Northern Wisconsin and owning his own resort. I........ in a blind panic...... immediately thought of the old television show "Green Acres" I thought to myself, "Oh Oliver.... What is wrong with this picture?" Now don't get me wrong I love visiting Wisconsin on one of our family vacations year after year but the thought of living up there scares the hell outta me! They have bears! Did I mention my aversion to bears?

I'm not sure where we are going to end up when he retires which he should be able to do at 47 (nice huh?) I'm still waiting to discover Utopia! Are kids allowed in Utopia? lol We always tease the children and tell them we are buying one of those huge travel trailers and just when they get a hit on our location, we will pick up stakes and take off leaving a trail of dust behind us until they find us again! lol
Such dreamers!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YA KNOW ITS FUNNY HOW YOU SAY CHICAGO SHOULD BE KNOWN AS THE STATE WHERE IF YOU DONT LIKE THE WEATHER, STICK AROUND, IT'LL CHANGE, THAT IS THE MOTTO FOR INDIANA. I HATE IT TOO. THEY WILL CALL FOR 80 DEGREE WEATHER AND IT WILL SNOW, LOL!
YOU WILL BE FINE IN WISCONSIN AS LONG AS YOUR KIDS ARE THERE WITH YOU KIM. :) THE IDEA OF HIM RETIRING AT 47 AND OWNING HIS OWN PLACE SOUNDS SO GREAT FOR YOU GUYS, WOW!
I THINK YOU WOULD BE HAPPY NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVED AS LONG AS YOUR FAMILY IS THERE WITH YOU.:)
KIM.

Anonymous said...

LOL Mother Nature's Utopia. I love it! Did I mention I am from Buffalo? ~ Sooz

Anonymous said...

I wish I could think of retirement!  Maybe Costa Rica or somewhere on the coast of Maine............
~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

I was soooo lucky that my SO got offered a dream job in the state that I love (FL). I'm actually from KY/IL area and have lived in both of those states till 1985. I came to FL for an apprenticeship program and fell in love with it. My SO is from TX and we had always talked about moving there, so I was very happy with this job offer. My brother moved near here about 4 years ago, so I also have him and his family about an hour away. The only thing that would have made it perfect for me would have been to move back to Orlando, but at least it and my old friends are only an hour or so away. Not that I don't love snow, I do... in pictures, on television, in movies....

Anonymous said...

I have the same fear of where we will end up after retirement. I like NewYork weather. it's got the four seasons neatly divided. But, no stays here. Something to think about.
Ellen
http://journals.aol.com/eml625/Onedayatatime