Sunday, October 31, 2004

Poker Night

Giving up the lake for winter is just as hard as I thought it was going to be, all summer long..... every weekend we always had a place to go and see family and friends, how sad our little cove at the lake looks without the campers and the lawn chairs and the gathering of people.

No more gatherings at the fire pit, no more splashes from the lake and sound of running feet and laughter from everybody's children. For now at least the trap house is open, it might be open for the winter season too for the ice fisherman and the hunters. So right now it serves as a meeting place for us grown children of summer to still mingle. 

Last night was poker night, small change. Normally it was just the men still going and sitting around smoking their smelly cigars and sipping whiskey, but the women decided to get in on some of the action last night. My pile of change grew small then recouped a couple of times while I learned the many variations of poker. I'm not much of a whiskey girl so my choice of beverage was hot apple cider and spiced rum! But I have been known to partake in the smoking of cigars! lol

As usual the men did the cooking but instead of cooking over the pit like we do all summer long, the grills came out......it looked like a tail gate party and the smell of the goose and venison shish-kA-bobs filled the air. It was still warm enough for the children to run around outside in the dark and play the last few games of summer and even everybody's beloved pets are welcomed in the trap house.

As usual everybody vowed to see each other over the upcoming long winter, but I'm still not sure if I'm going to be into sitting on a frozen lake, waiting for a fish to bite, right now I can't see the enthusiasm in that! lol Maybe I'll attempt to ice skate again like I did in my youth, but the thought of a body cast is shedding some serious doubt on that too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like fun.  I'm sure it must be hard to leave that for the winter.  Next summer will be something to look forward to.I like your journal and will stop by again.
Cindy
http://journals.aol.com/cltaylor2/AlostRedneck

Anonymous said...

I CAN PICTURE YOU SITTING, LEANED WAY BACK ON YOUR CHAIR, WITH THAT CIGAR HANGING OUTTA YOUR MOUTH, CARDS IN RIGHT HAND , DRINK IN THE LEFT, LIKE SOMETHING OUT OF AN OLD TIME MOVIE, READY TO BET ON THE CARDS YOU WERE DEALT.......LOL!
THEN, ALTHOUGH I DONT SEE YA OUT ICE FISHING, I DO SEE YOU ICE SKATING KIM. THATS THE ONE THING I LIVED FOR IN THE WINTERS WHEN WE LIVED OUT BY THE POND IN COLORADO. I STILL LOVE IT TODAY, BUT!, LIKE YOU , HAVE THAT BIG FEAR OF THE BODY CAST. LOL!
KIM.

Anonymous said...

Would it be possible for you to cuddle up and read there? I just looked at that pretty picture of you and imagined a cigar hanging out of those lips. lol Paula