Wednesday, October 6, 2004

Total Recall


In mid march of this year, I had another "episode" I don't know what else to call them since my Doctors are unable to reach a conclusion. It's funny how growing up you think that Doctoring is an exact science. It's not, the human body is a complex thing and the Doctor's don't always know how it ticks.

I have had seizures since I was preteen because of a childhood head injury. I also suffer from inherited migraines. When something happens frequently in your life you get used to it. A few years ago I started having sick to my stomach migraines which helped the migraine to pass quicker. Anything to help it run its course is good to me. Six years ago I had my first "episode."

While experiencing the usual migraine, I got sick to my stomach and passed out, only to wake moments later when I hit the floor, although I was still somewhat disoriented I knew something was terribly wrong with my heart, I felt EVERY heartbeat through my entire body. I went to my Husband who put his hand over my heart and he quickly rushed me off the hospital. I was in Atrial Fibrillation, it's where the top of your heart just quivers and the bottom functions properly, the threat comes with a blood clot forming and when your heart goes back into normal sinus rhythm the clot could break free and enter your brain causing a stroke, possibly death or you could blow a clot into your lungs which is just as deadly.

At the time I was only 35, no history of heart problems, I don't smoke I had normal if not low blood pressure, my cholesterol was low, so there weren't any risk factors that I was aware of. The hospital kept me over night with an IV cocktail and I was back in normal sinus rhythm by the next day.  Off for a battery of tests of my head and my heart this time they couldn't figure out what happened, wrote it up as a fluke of some kind and sent me on my way.

It has happened several times since then but only with a "Sick Migraine" This last time (in March) the migraine lasted for almost eight days. I had brain swelling and I went into Atrial Fib again.
Since that time whether as a result of the swelling or as the result of all the medications I am on now, my ability to remember things has diminished. Sometimes this is a good thing because it has wiped out some of my childhood years and sometimes this is a bad thing, I wonder how much of my everyday life with my family I will be able to hang on to.

I think I subconsciously started this journal just to see what I CAN remember and maybe as a log of things I don't want to forget. I know how painful forgetting can be, I can't remember my Father's voice and that upsets me beyond belief. When I have a day with total recall I am joyous about it, when I have a day where I can't even remember a few days ago I get frustrated and sometimes really pissed off. I have tried new medications and refused to take a few, I need my memories I have to remember how I got here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in a bad car wreck last year.  I had a head injury which caused me to have a stroke.   I really don't remember my childhood at all any more.    I'm still on 7 medications which make me really tired.  You are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Wow!  That must be awful for you.  I hope you don't get any more of those sick migraines.  With each one do you forget more of your past?  

~~Kath~~
http://journals.aol.com/dklars/SecretGarden

Anonymous said...

My son will be 4 this month had his first seizure when he was 4 months old.  I will keep you in my prayers....Tammy

Anonymous said...

I HAVE A COWORKER WHOS DAUGHTER ALSO HAS MIGRAINES AND HAS STARTED WITHIN THE LAST YEAR TO HAVE SIMILAR HEART PROBLEMS AND SHE, AS YOU HAS NOT HAD A DEFINITE DIAGNOSIS. I, AS YOU, ALWAYS HAD THE THOUGHT THAT THE DOCTORS HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS IT MIST BE TERRIBLY SCARY TO REALIZE THEY DON'T ESPECIALLY WHEN IT 'S YOU THEY ARE TRYING TO DIAGNOSE. GOOD LUCK I HOPE YOU FINALLY FIND ONE THAT WILL BE ABLE TO HELP.

Anonymous said...

Why do you think Doctors call what they do "Practice?" Hopefully, any episodes you experience will be few and far between. The human mind is a wonderful thing. I think you are doing the right thing by exercising it with this journal. Many times, the brain will develop new pathways to access lost memories. I wish you all the best.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's the menopause or the cancer treatments, but my memory is terrible and getting worse by the day it seems. I say and do things that I forget by the next day. It's very frustrating. You're in my prayers Kim.

God Bless,
Lahoma

Anonymous said...

I wish you good luck in finding a doctor that can help you and my prayers are with you. Paula