Monday, October 4, 2004

a day in 90 seconds

alarm goes off......crawl from my bed
time to wake the children
ready them for school and life

quiet moment.... start the coffee
tick off things to do in my head
no particular order

dog visits the yard
washing machine hums
dryer tumbles

decide if the dust bunnies
get a day of reprieve
line up shoes in the hall

coffee cup in hand
I make my way to the computer
the machine that holds all my thoughts

listen to the music of the modem
attempt to clear off desk
there is always tomorrow

tap tap tap goes the keyboard
words rearranged or deleted
stories from my past come alive again

phone rings go unanswered
recorder catches the messages
mental note of calls to return

check the clock ritually
few more hours until chaos
few more moments to myself

Door opens loudly
voices tell me they are home
so much for the shoes lined up

snacks for the homework doers
kiss for the husband
as he walks through the door

pots and pans rattle in the kitchen
in a moment dinner is gone
the dishwasher hums quietly

orders for baths and bedtimes
a moment snuck in for cuddling
time for the 10 o'clock news

clicking of the alarm clock
set for a repeat performance
tomorrow is a new day

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

clicking of the alarm clock
set for a repeat performance
tomorrow is a new day

I got here via "the other me's" journal, and I really enjoyed your poem. My father used to say, "tomorrow's a new day"...or (being funny "tomorrow'll be another day"...and it's true. It will, at very least, get different...LOL.
I'm taking a Eng class right now and we are covering Modern poets, (Stein, Eliot, etc) and I'm really enjoying it. It's teaching me howw to appreciate the poets here in JLand.
I'll be back.

andi

http://journals.aol.com/greyhoundloner03/attemptingauthenticity

Anonymous said...

Hey this is one busy little poem here. I like it. Paula