Friday, October 8, 2004

Discipline problem or ADHD?

I often wonder how come society in general is much more accepting of physical disabilities then mental disabilities. I guess it's because if it's physical it can be seen, but if your look hard enough so can most mental disabilities. Disorders are even harder to accept because it has become such a "Buzz" word lately.


My Son as a baby and as a small child, was in constant motion, constant chaos. When he finally was in bed for the night, I used to collapse from physical exhaustion and cry myself to sleep. I would cry because I knew my day was over and because I knew tomorrow was going to be just like today. Because he was my last child and my only boy I attributed all that raw energy in he's a boy and that is what boys do. I had no other boy to compare it too. Total strangers would watch him and then say things to me like, "You have your hands full with that one!" or "I feel sorry for you!"


It seems what ever popped into his head he did, full throttle, he didn't care if he hurt himself other people. It wasn't until his first grade teacher, finally came to the conclusion that maybe he can't control himself. The "Lightbulb" finally lit up. I was always told he was a "discipline problem." And I can tell you I was raised military, I know what discipline is and I wasn't afraid to use it on my children, I am somewhat of a strict parent, I had no problem swatting my children when they were younger and needed swatting. I finally got to the point where I would say, if confronted by another person telling me "He's a discipline problem"......."Look! I'm not going to beat my child just to prove to you that it is beyond a discipline problem!" That seemed to shock most people into shutting up and made them realize how rude their comments actually were.  Like I didn't already know there was something different with my son Jimmy.


I am not the type of person to be satisfied with just a few answers, when I want to know about something I throw myself into learning all there is to know about it, to the point of obsessing. Call it a character flaw if you will but, I want to be an educated participant in life. After consulting with (Ok..... here is where you see me in action) His teacher(s), The school councilor, the school psychologist, the administrator, the pediatrician, the pediatric psychiatrist, the ped psychologist and my Doctor who I trust completely, my son was finally diagnosed with ADHD and ODD (Opposition Defiant Disorder) along with the statement, there will be more things in the future we will have to look into, because other disorders won't even show themselves until later in his life, most likely during puberty. I did my homework on this, I didn't just give my son medication (daily) because some Doctor thought I should. I am continually educating myself on his disorders, I just wish others would before they threw their 2 cents in. I would never assume I knew something more about something then someone experiencing it themselves, or worse yet, assume it was all in someone head. Something along the lines of walking in my moccasins theory.


Finding the right therapy for my son so he can be the best he can be, would prove to be a battle of I was up for. Funny how with one's own children they can become such a warrior. (continued later)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny how some people know what you "should" be doing when they've only seen a few moments of your life.  I use to, before I had my son, would wonder why a mother would be walking through the store with her child crying and be "ignoring" the child.  Some things you learn from experiencing it....lol  Tammy

Anonymous said...

My husband was diagnosed with ADD with a co-existing disorder of OCD at the age of 42.  It was a huge lightbulb moment for the entire family.  I've wished many times that his OCD fell into the obsessive neatness camp, but it's the opposite -- compulsive collecting and hoarding.  He had discipline, educational and social problems most of his life.  We're still fighting to find the right combination of meds and treatment, but all I can say is it's so much better than it was.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I hit save too soon.  You're dead on target when you say that our culture is much more accepting of physical disabilities than mental ones.  Despite the physical connection to mental illnesses, so many people act as if mental illnesses are a matter of choice and weakness. I wouldn't choose to have depression and panic attacks.  My husband wouldn't choose to have ADD, but these are the conditions we have to manage to the best of our ability.

Anonymous said...

Part 2

My Amanda was one also. I refused the med's. I almost gave up many times and even had to send her to stay with my brother for 6 months once to save my sanity. She would run off at the age of 5 when I would turn my back. I would find her trotting home close to a mile away in this big city. She did things to "see what would happen" even if it meant hurting something or someone. She had no outlet (that she needed/wanted) to let out her energies. i tried everything, sports, dancing, etc...she needed the physical activity and the brain stimulation. And little Miss Amanda is getting ready to go to Military school now thans to her behavior. 16 years is enough time to learn how to control herself and vent, release steam in the proper ways. lol

I know where your coming from.
Cheryl

http://journals.aol.com/dvlwitgrneyes/Fortysomething/

Anonymous said...

In my preschool where I work, we have so many ADHD children. The numbers keep rising and it is scary. But ODD is something that is fairly newer than ADHD and is amazing, because if you watch the children with "disorders" (ADHA or whatever) you can see the ODD in them clearly, especially when confronted with an adult/autority figure who reacts to them wrong. I first heard of ODD a couple of years ago and when I read up on it for my job, I was shocked to see all the signs in the "difficult" chidlren we had had.

IMO, where and why ADHD terminology is used mroe often in todays world is because when we were younger, the world was less dangerous and populated not to mention community like neighborhood were we all kept an eye on each other and each others children. Children were allowed to "keep busy" they could take off and go fishing or exploring their world to brush off some of that energy and bottled up feelings. Where as now days world, we have to keep the chidlren close to home for their own safety. They do not have the old fashioned freedom to be a child like in days past so their energies are being used and shown in negative ways.


Cheryl

http://journals.aol.com/dvlwitgrneyes/Fortysomething/

Anonymous said...

It breaks my heart when I hear someone make fun of someone with a mental disability. Don't they have sense enough to know things like that can happen to anyone, even them? Paula

Anonymous said...

I FIGURE IT THIS WAY.....HE IS YOUR CHILD AND SINCE YOU HAD HIM YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DECIDE WHAT IS BEST FOR HIM IN YOUR OPINION WITHOUT ALL THE BUSY BODIES GETTING INVOLVED WITH THEIR TWO CENTS WORTH. I WOULD JUST TELL THEM  ALL THAT UNLIKE THEM, YOU WOULD PREFER YOUR SON TO LIVE A PRODUCTIVE LIFE OUTSIDE THE PRISON WALLS. YOUR SON HAS THE ONE THING HE NEEDS TO MAKE IT IN THIS WORLD, A STRONG LOVING MOTHER. :)
KIM.

Anonymous said...

isn't it strange how people feel free to offer advice on child-rearing?
Marti