Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Old Friends

With recently spending time with an old friend, I had forgotten how good it feels to be with somebody from your childhood.  You still laugh about the same things that you laughed about as a child and you realize that someone else shares the same exact memories from your youth.  We laughed about her children attending the same school we attended and how some of the teachers are still there.  We talked about old friends who have come and gone in our life and smiled about the ones who are still here.  We went through everything together, puberty, boyfriends, heartbreaks and nights of endless giggles at sleep overs. 


With her I don't have to explain every single nuance of my life, she knows me, she knows my past which leaves the need to explain who I am today, totally unnecessary.  We know what makes each other laugh, what makes each other sad and what drives each other crazy!  Almost every one of our conversations starts with, "Remember when...."  Spending the day with her is like opening up an old scrap book filled with snapshots and great memories. I feel blessed to have her in my life again. We were children of the 60's, teenagers of the 70's, wild women of the 80's, Momma's of the 90's and women to be reckoned with in the new century!


With a friend from your childhood you don't even have to finish your sentance and they are already laughing with you! They are laughing just because you are and the both of you are laughing so hard the tears are just pouring down your faces and you haven't even finished the sentance and by the time you do you can hardly catch your breath! I LOVE those moments!


The town I grew up in had a small school with only one class per grade so everybody was in your class year after year, many of us still keep in touch and have "Big Chill" weekends with each other, no kids or spouses allowed........ just us grown up kids from the neighborhood! Some have moved far away and who ever can get away gets away and who ever can't promises to be at the next "Big Chill" We converge on the house of one of the friends and we spend a long weekend together, its been here in Chicago, Wisconsin and as far away as Vegas and California.


My husband's parting words everytime I leave to get together with them again is, "Don't call me for bail money!" lol I literally come home with my face hurting from smiling and my sides hurting from laughing so hard! My adult life is wonderful but sometimes its good to be a kid again!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right.  Nothing is like those friends who knew you when.  

Anonymous said...

YOU KNOW YOU ARE CLOSE FRIENDS WHEN, AFTER YEARS APART, YOU JUST PICK UP WHERE YOU LEFT OFF AS IF YOU'D NEVER BEEN AWAY FROM EACH OTHER. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A BALL. HOW NICE THAT MUST HAVE BEEN FOR YOU!
KIM.

Anonymous said...

A good laugh with old friends is so good for you and makes you feel sooo good. Keep having your "Big Chill". Paula