Friday, November 5, 2004

Love the series (part 5)

Danny took me to his Father's house where I was introduced to his Father, his two brothers and his paternal Grandmother "Oma" She still spoke with a very thick German accent, her welcome didn't radiate as much warmth as everyone else's and at first I didn't understand why.

Oma didn't live there with them but wanted to be there when Danny brought this girl from Chicago home. She also sipped Vodka out of an old juice cup that was sold promotionally with jelly or jam in it first. She called it "water" Little did she know I was partially raised by an alcoholic father, and I say partially because he wasn't around much and when he was it was a 50-50 chance of him being sober. She didn't like me and because of that I didn't care for her much either, I found out why a little later in the evening.

This was a house that was used to just having males around, but Oma had no problem taking over the house when she was there, it was her sons house after all, Danny's Mother relinquished her rights to it when she left out on her own. I also found out the reason for that later on in the evening.

Dinner went by quickly with all the getting to know you chatter that was expected, how did we meet, I was asked about my family, my education, how was my flight, the whole time Oma kept sipping from her juice glass. I liked Danny's father immediately even though he was a little quirky, I like his brother who was closest to him in age, who was my age to be exact, I found his little brother to be somewhat annoying only to be compounded by his need to chew with his mouth open (sorry pet peeve of mine) and his rudeness in constantly interrupting everybody. But I cut him some slack he was only 12.

I thought the evening was going well until it was time for Oma to serve dessert, using the manners I was taught as a child I offered to help her serve dessert, clear the dishes and wash the dishes, she refused and was off to the kitchen to get the dessert and after dinner coffee ready. Danny held my hand on and off through this getting to know you dinner, he was always there with a quick smile and an I love you when needed.

Enter Oma with the coffee urn, dessert tray and her ever refilled, ever present juice glass of vodka. The dessert was passed around the table, and coffee was being pored when Oma asked if I needed cream for my coffee, I said yes in which she proceeded to slam a pint of half and half down in front of me as she partly hissed partly slurred,"Here is your damn Irish China" and before I could speak she grabbed my face and said,"He (meaning Danny) could of got a much prettier girl who's German!"

All I could think of was LET ME AT HER! I'LL SHOW HER  DAMN IRISH CHINA! so much for my manners huh?

Yes continued again! lol..........................

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW - she's slowing getting hammered .... and she's rude !!
Did you deck her or what??? If I get another alert and I'm at work,  my doctor will have to wait to get her results, while I read  "my book" LOL
Ellen

Anonymous said...

omgggggggg how much longer is this story- cant you just do a marathon session?? I WANT TO KNOW

Anonymous said...

I WAS TRYING A LITTLE REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY HERE THIS MORNING. I SAID I WOULD BE HERE AT SIX, BUT, I FIGURED IF I DIDNT GET HERE TIL NINE, THAT YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN PURSUEDED INTO DOING TWO ENTRIES TODAY LIKE YESTERDAY, BUT, IT DIDNT WORK, DAGNABBIT!!.
KIM, WHEN I SAW THE WORD OMA, I GOT GOOSEBUMPS. MY EX'S PARENTS ARE OMA AND OPA. HE IS FROM GERMANY AND HIS FATHER SPEAKS VERY BROKEN ENGLISH STILL TODAY!! LORDY, WHAT IS THE DEAL, LOL!!
I AM GONNA BE LURKING AROUND HERE TODAY JUST INCASE...........
KIM.