Friday, November 5, 2004

love....series.... part 6

For those that have just found this series you can start at the very beginning http://journals.aol.com/demandnlilchit/LifeasIliveit/entries/398/

Everything that happened after that was a blur, I remember grabbing her hand from my face, Danny grabbed me and took me off in one direction, His Brother took Oma off in another. Oh! I was livid! Danny decided is was better to get me out of the house completely so we went for a drive up into the Catskill Mountains.

He kept apologizing over and over, That his Grandma was very protective over her only child's and his children, she didn't mean it. I'm thinking, "Didn't mean it????" She not only insulted me she put her hands on me! She's lucky I didn't knock her on her keister!
He explained that his Mother is Irish and that his Grandma and his Mother were constantly at each other's throats and that his Mother left because his Father wouldn't put a stop to his own Mother's tirades. I'm thinking, "What? No one is aware this woman has a serious alcohol addiction?" I brought that up to Danny and he said, " She's 79 years old, what.... I'm supposed to put her through AA?" He said, "Give her another chance and she will see what I see in you, please do this for me." Oh! I'll give her another chance all right but not to slap my other cheek! lol

I got my revenge a little later in the evening! Danny's family home was set up as a two story Colonial, with the formal living room wing on one side of the huge house and the family room wing on the other side of the house and the only bathroom on the first floor was actually a powder room located under the staircase leading to the upstairs. Oma continued to sip out of her juice glass and glare at me every chance she got, I met her every stare with my own steel blue eyes, there would be no surrender on my part! This Irish girl was up for it! I also wanted to teach her a lesson on you get what you give in life.

Oma at one point during the conversation in the family room left to use the powder room, I waited a few minutes before I told Danny I wanted to unpack a few of my things before turning in for the night. As I walked past the powder room I saw that the light switch was on the outside of the door.......with a smile on my face I asked her if she was "OK" through the closed door and shesaid "I'm fine!" and I quietly flicked off the light and went to my room for the night. You might think that was mild, but as I found out the next morning Oma had spent a considerable time in that powder room fumbling for the door, in the dark, vodka impaired and no one heard her calling for quite sometime! Oh MY BAD! Needless to say as I sat across the breakfast table from her that morning it was with a Cheshire cat grin across my face! lol She didn't mess with me again......What? You expected me to hit her?? lol

During the Thanksgiving holiday I met the rest of Danny's family and I loved his Mother instantly! We were cut from the same cloth so to speak. We went shopping together in New York City, we lunched together, I told her about Omas' treatment of me, she just laughed and said there was many times she wanted to just push that old woman down the staircase and blame it on the Vodka! lol

Danny loved showing me around the town he grew up in and I met all his friends, we hung out a lot in a college town called New Paltz where they had a lot of clubs and live entertainment, and this was the beginning of the big hair bands in the early 80's. We went to the lodge that was used for the movie "Dirty Dancing" it was so beautiful there, it is still one of my favorite places, we went rock climbing there a lot. I soooo miss the Catskills.

The Christmas holiday there in New York was hard for me, it was the my first Christmas away from my 'large' extended Irish family and I was beginning to get home sick. We were to leave for Daytona Beach the day after Christmas........Just Danny and I and our dog Ebony.

Uh huh.........continued lol

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH YOU LILCHIT!! LOL!!
I WOULD HAVE PUT SOMETHING IN OMA'S DRINKY. :) THIS IS SUCH A GREAT STORY..... AND I HOPE YOUR GUILT FOR KEEPING YOUR FAITHFUL READERS FROM THE NEXT PART GETS TO YOU SO BAD THAT YOU HAVE TO STAY UP ALL NIGHT IF THATS WHAT IT TAKES TO GET THIS STORY OUT TO US, TODAY........LOLOLOL!!!
THIS ALERT CAME JUST AS I WAS GETTING HOME. I THOUGHT, HMMMM, DO HER AND I HAVE MENTAL TELEPATHY OF SOME SORT? BUT I WAS REALLY HAPPY THAT YOU ADDED ANOTHER PART, THANKS SO VERY MUCH, NOW ON WITH THE NEXT PART!! C'MON KIM, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!! LOL!
OHHHHH.........
KIM.

Anonymous said...

Leaving the old hag in the dark.. nice touch. I thought also, you might put something in her drink !!     I remember well, the big hair of the 80's LOL .
Ellen
http://journals.aol.com/eml625/Onedayatatime

Anonymous said...

I had finally gone to bed at 6 am... and I must have got the alert right after <LOL>. The only good part is that this way when I got on tonight I had -2- chapters <yeah>. Nice touch with the lightswitch, but You were too nice... I would have found her bottle and emptied it... "Oh, that was important? I thought it was water...My bad". I too grew up in contact with alcoholics. You learn to get your licks in when you can.