Friday, June 24, 2005

Weekend Assignment ....Summer Song Dedications

Weekend Assignment #65 -- Summer Song Dedications


Weekend Assignment #65: Dedicate a "summer song" to someone in your life. Could be a happy song for someone you like, a "kiss-off" song for someone you don't, or a romantic song for someone you want to know better. Point is, it has to be summery, and you have to intend it for someone.



Another easy choice for me! It is "Follow you, Follow Me" by the Band Genesis. I think mainly it hits me as a summer song, because the first time I heard it was at an outdoor concert of theirs.

It was one of those perfect summer nights with a cool breeze coming up from the stage, just strong enough to cool you off and keep your hair gently blowing off you face....it was a very magical night for me, Even the music arrangement sounds like a breezy, flowing summer night. I knew in my heart, that the man that would someday be my forever love, would make me feel this way......... always.

"Stay With Me"
 lyrics


Stay with me,
My love I hope you'll always be
Right here by my side if ever I need you
Oh my love

In your arms,
I feel so safe and so secure
Everyday is such a perfect day to spend
Alone with you

I will follow you will you follow me
All the days and nights that we know will be
I will stay with you will you stay with me
Just one single tear in each passing year

With the dark,
Oh I see so very clearly now
All my fears are drifting by me so slowly now
Fading away

I can say
The night is long but you are here
Close at hand, oh I'm better for the smile you give
And while I live

I will follow you will you follow me
All the days and nights that we know will be
I will stay with you will you stay with me
Just one single tear in each passing year there will be

I will follow you will you follow me
All the days and nights that we know will be
I will stay with you will you stay with me
Just one single tear in each passing year...


I have always loved the band Genesis, and this song in particular can transport me from now to back then with in just a few notes. My very first self burned CD of my all time favorites has this song in the number one slot, followed by Led Zeppelin's "Going to California" Heart's "Dog and Butterfly," Rush "Closer to the heart" Boston's "More than a feeling" Journey's "Lovin,'Touchn,'Squeezn."

So many of these songs can take me back to my late teen years where life went by a little slower and it seems I didn't have a care in the world........it's a lovely time to go back too when today's life seems to get the best of me and I need to retreat into my past



Extra Credit: Ever have a song dedicated to you? What was it?

LOL! I saw so many cover bands with some rating from very good to some so bad they made your ears bleed......but for some reason the songs that were always tossed out to me as I danced freely in the audience were songs along the genre of "Spooky Little Girl Like You" and "Evil Woman".......now come on! I'm not that bad............am I? lol lol lol


Come see what everyone else cam up with ~~~~~>


John Scalzi/By the way


 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL....Everytime my buddy Steve plays live, and does "Lovin Touchin Squeezin" I always have to grind up to him and let him take over the guitar lead...that song rocks!

I like th eone you picked though, Genesis was one of my mom's favorite bands (before she went full on country, eek!) and I know the song so well.

LOL....."Evil Woman" will forever remind me of the scene in Austin Powers 3 between Dr. Evil & Frou. Oh lord, lol.

Have a great weekend!

<3 Rachel

Anonymous said...

Ah, Genesis!  Now that take me back to high school  http://journals.aol.com/pixiedustnme/Inmyopinion/entries/1127

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

This is one of my all- time favorite songs.  I am a big Genesis fan, too.  Was glad to see this one on the list !  Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme