Friday, May 27, 2005

Religion...now theres a tough subject!

Religion.....its a tough subject, one that can get fanatical at the moment someone does not agree with your beliefs. My mind is too open of a mind to believe in only one way for spiritual enlightenment. I get a lil annoyed with people who think their way is the true way, just because they have a book (Bible, Koran, etc.) to try and prove their case.


I do believe in a higher power and I am not sure if that is because it was drilled into my head as a child or because my soul knows this. I was never baptized and neither were my siblings, My Father was raised and schooled in Catholicism, My Mother was raised Protestant, they felt pressured from my Fathers side to have us kids baptized, but they decided to let us find our own religion if we chose to when we became adults, I later found out that my Grandmother (The Troll, fondly referred) took me and my siblings to have the Catholic Priest at their church to at least bless us, does that save me from burning in eternal hell? I don't know, I won't know until I get "THERE"


The intelligent side of my brain lets me believe in the theory of evolution, but the child in me that did attend bible school once in a while, believes in a higher power. Call it faith, call it blind faith but it's there embedded in my DNA somewhere. My Husband was also never baptized so we are following the same suit as our parents regarding our children and their spiritualism, we are letting them find their own guides in life. My children did and the last 2 still do attend "youth group" at a non-denominational church in my area, I offered it and they accepted it, I want them to continually grow as future leaders in this world, with better understanding of other peoples beliefs it makes it a lil easier to accept other peoples differences.


Do I believe in science....of course I do........Do I believe in miracles.......of course I do......do I pray.....of course I do......Do I believe in things I do not understand........sometimes and I am always willing to listen and learn from it but most of all I am willing to let you believe in what you want without passing any judgment on you......makes MY world a better place.


 


Until next time!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent entry! I couldn't have said it better myself. I just wish that more people felt this way. I get so tired of the fights people have because of religion, or nationality or whatever....it's so stupid. We could learn alot by watching our children. When they are young, and haven't picked up our prejudices yet, do children stop playing with each other because one is a christian and one is a Jehovah's Witness? No, they really couldn't care less, and I wish that more adults would behave this way. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
~ Stephanie ~
http://journals.aol.com/unicornsteph80/Welcometomylife

Anonymous said...

I was never baptized either. Cameron got baptized last summer while at a Christian youth camp. I thought it was funny at first how when he came home he started pointing out my "sins" but after a while, it got on my nerves and I ended up telling him that although I appreciated him trying to save my soul, I'd rather he be more concerned with his own faults than pointing out mine, since I am the one that will have to answer to them in the end. I'm believe in God, not Gods or Goddesses. And although there are many religions, we will all answer to the one and same God.
I believe it's a sin to argue over religion, what's right and what's wrong. And I have my own theory on evolution. If we evolved from apes or fish or whatever, how come after millions of years, we haven't evolved into anything else?

Lahoma

Anonymous said...

I've never been baptized and it's something I've struggled with over the years.  I just haven't been able to bring myself to the baptismal fount because a "religion" tells me that I need to.  I feel that when I'm "ready"...I'll know it.  So far, at 50, I haven't been "struck".  I pray and do have a Higher Spiritual Power.  I'm trying to worry less and pray more.  Guess I need to do some talking about baptism to the "One".  

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful entry...I completely agree with you, even though I had my baptism late in life I don't feel it completely fulfilled my spiritual needs and I know what I need to do to fulfill the missing pieces...and I will fill them in one piece at a time. Now it would be nice if the people that you are "willing to let you believe in what you want without passing any judgment on you" would do the same ... everyone's world would be a better place.

Anonymous said...

AMEN SISTER!!  LOL!  I couldn't agree with you more!  It seems like people always are wanting to debate over which religion is "RIGHT".  I hate the feeling like I have to defend my personal religous beliefs.  In every religion I have ever seen/heard about/learned about/practiced they all have one thing in common: a Higher Power.  Isn't that all that matters?  That we all know there is a Higher Power out there? We all need to be better people in order to stay in the good graces of that Higher Power.  I guess to me the rest is details and personal interpretations of the rules and regulations.    Ok, I'm going to hop back off my soap box now!  Have a great day everyone!

Anonymous said...

Now that is wisdom and I loved the entry.
I am all for anything that works for everyone and knowing that by not passing judgement makes YOUR world a better place would work alot better if everyone felt that way.
Loved it!
TJ~
http://journals.aol.com/vaultofsecrets/MoonDancer/
and
Paisleyskys